Cherokee County
Larrabee
 
Danette Morgan
City Clerk
Contact   
PO Box 122
Larrabee, Iowa 51029
Phone: (712) 437-2575
 

Larrabee
"Established 1887"

Larrabee is a small but strong link in Cherokee County's economic development chain.  The community continues to shape its future in a positive light.  They have added a $4 million feed mill, new water tower, and encourages the entrepreneurial spirit.

History
Larrabee was incorporated in 1887 and named after the 13th governor of Iowa, William Larrabee.  This gentleman was born in Connecticut in 1832, from French Huguenot immigrants who went by the name "Larrabee".  He came to Iowa in 1853 and later became involved in politics.  He served in the Iowa Senate before becoming elected as governor.  One year after his inauguration, the town was recognized by the state as a municipality.

Current Economic Climate
Larrabee added a $4 million feed mill to its existing elevator at the beginning of the new century.  This facility is capable of producing 120,000 tons of feed per year.  Ninety percent (90%) of the feed produced is for hogs, with remaining 10% used for poultry.  The community center has also had a major makeover, with new fixtures and furniture.  This building is the heart of the city, hosting celebrations and meetings of all kinds. 

CML Telephone Lays Fiber Optics in Larrabee

Education
Students in Larrabee take advantage of Iowa's open enrollment policy, with the majority of children attending the Cherokee Community School District.  High speed internet is available in the community, thereby offering e-education advantages while savoring life in a small town. 

Local Attractions
The Cherokee County Conservation Board operates several county parks near Larrabee.  Martin's Access offers camping, fishing, picnic spots, foot and horse trails.  Steele Prairie Nature Reserve is dedicated to preserving Iowa's native prairie grasses.  Nelson's Access is only a few miles from Larrabee's city limits, and offers an escape into Iowa's natural surroundings.